Family Reunion Visa (Q1/Q2) information – China

Family members” refers to spouses, parents, sons, daughters, spouses of sons or daughters, brothers, sisters, grandparents, grandsons, granddaughters and parents-in-law.

Family Reunion Visa (Q1/Q2) is issued to those who are family members of Chinese citizens or of foreigners with Chinese permanent residence and intend to go to China for family reunion, or to those who intend to go to China for the purpose of foster care. Depending on the intended duration of stay; the applicant has to obtain either of Q1 or Q2 visa type under this category.

Q1 is generally issued with a single entry and 30 days; and the holders must apply for Temporary Residence Permit within 30 days after entry. The residence permit can be granted for a minimum of 90 days and a maximum of 5 years. So, holders can exit and re-enter freely during the validity of the residence permit. We strongly advise you to commence the process of Temporary Residence Permit as soon as you reach china (or within the first couple of days, and not wait for the 29th day) at the local Public Security Bureau Entry & Exit Administration office.

Q2 is generally issued for a period ranging from 30 to 180 days; allows single, double, or multiple entries, and the holders can stay in China within the duration period as indicated on visa.