You need to apply for a new passport under the following conditions:
- You are holding a handwritten Indian passport.
- Your Indian passport has expired.
- Your Indian passport is about to expire in the next 6 Months.
- Your Indian passport is lost, stolen or damaged.
- There is a change in personal particulars in your passport like Name change, change in appearance, Addition of Spouse name, Addition or deletion of parents names, etc
- Your Signature has changed.
- Your passport has no more pages left for Visas
- You need a passport for your newborn.
Average processing times for a Indian passport renewal application is about 20 business days. If you are travelling sooner than that; you may request for a Tatkal service at a additional cost; for which you MUST provide a copy of your ticket that determines need for urgency of travel outside United States. Date of Issuing a new passport is the sole descrition of the Indian Embassy/Consulate based on the urgency support documents provided with your application.