Present Identification

You must present one of the following identification documents (IDs) to the acceptance agent. The ID must readily identify you.

  • In-state, fully-valid driver’s license
  • In-state, fully-valid non-driver ID
  • Fully-valid, undamaged U.S. passport (may be expired)
  • Certificate of Naturalization or Citizenship
  • Government employee ID (city, county, state or federal)
  • S. military ID or military dependent ID
  • Valid foreign passport
  • Matricula Consular (Mexican Consular Identification, commonly used by the parent of a U.S. citizen child applicant)
  • Permanent resident card (Green Card) – commonly used by a parent of a U.S. citizen child applicant

If you cannot present one of the IDs above, provide a set from the one’s below:

  • Out-of-state driver’s license
  • Out-of-state non-driver ID
  • Social Security card
  • Learner’s or temporary driver’s permit
  • Voter registration card
  • Employee ID
  • Student ID
  • Selective Service (draft) card
  • Medicare or other health card
  • Expired driver’s license
  • Membership card in a local social organization or club

Please note:

  • If you present an out-of-state ID, you must present an additional ID.
  • If you have undergone or are going through gender transition, please see the additional requirements below:

Gender Designation Change

US Govt issue two different kinds of passports depending on where you are in your gender transition. You must provide extra documentation in both cases.


Status of Gender Transition Kind of Passport Validity of Passport
You have had appropriate
Clinical treatment*
Full Validity 10 years
You are in the process of getting appropriate clinical treatment Limited Validity 2 years

Your physician determines what appropriate clinical treatment is.


Unless you are replacing a limited-validity passport (see below), you must apply using Form DS-11. Please include the following, in addition to the regularly-required documents*:

  • ID that resembles your current appearance
  • Passport photo that resembles your current appearance
  • A medical certificationthat indicates you are in the process of or have had appropriate clinical treatment for gender transition
  • Proof of legal name change (if applicable)

Medical Certification

A signed, original statement from a licensed physician must be on office letterhead and include:

  • Physician’s full name
  • Medical license or certificate number
  • Issuing state or other jurisdiction of medical license/certificate
  • Address and telephone number of the physician
  • Language stating that:
  • He or she has a doctor/patient relationship with you
  • He or she has treated you or has reviewed and evaluated your medical history
  • You have had, or are in process of having, appropriate clinical treatment for transition to the updated gender (male or female)
  • The statement, “I declare under penalty of perjury under the laws of the United States that the forgoing is true and correct.”