- Documents required for Indian Passport. You MUST submit 2 copies of ALL the supporting documents.
- Fill the online passport application form at http://www.passport.gov.in/nri/ . Fill the form in Capital letter. DO NOT print the form back to back.
Important Instructions while filling the form –
- All the questions should be answered. If any question is not applicable; then ‘NA’ or ‘None’ should be written
- On first page of the application form under specimen signature box ONLY applicant’s signature is required (This applies to minor as well and for minor below 5 years of age a thumb impression is required)
- Minor applicants (below 18 years of age) either need to write their name or sign
- Minor applicants of less than 5 years of age can either write their name or place a thumb impression
- Original current/existing Indian passport. It is recommended that you also submit any older Indian passports that you also have in your possession.
- Photocopy of the current/existing passport: first 5 pages, last 2 pages (including bio pages) and endorsement/observation pages.
- All passports submitted while applying will be returned back after re-issue of the new passport
- Notarized copy of “Proof of Stay” in United States. ANY one of the following documents is required.
- Valid visa on Indian passport
- Green card
- I-765, also called Employment Authorization Document/EAD card/Work Permit (front and back)
- I-797 valid approval notice (approved petition)
- Valid I-20 if on student visa
- Valid I-20 if on student visa
If the minor doesn’t have an EAD card then the notarized photocopy of EAD of both parents/guardians along with valid I-485 document.
- A total of 6 passport size photographs;further specs below
- Printed on matte or glossy photo quality paper
- Size of photo
- 2 x 2 inches (51 x 51 mm) in size
- Size of head must be between 1 -1 3/8 inches (25 – 35 mm) from the bottom of the chin to the top of the head.
- Recent, taken in the last 6 months to reflect your current appearance
- Photos with glasses are not accepted
- Background must be plain white or off-white
- Head must be directly facing the camera with your full face in view
- Taken with a neutral facial expression or a natural smile, with both eyes open
- In color
- Taken in clothing that you normally wear on a daily basis
- No hats or head coverings, unless you wear it daily for religious purposes. Your full face must be visible and your head covering cannot cast shadows on your face.
- No headphones or wireless hands-free devices.
Photo guidelines for Infants
- Lay the child on its back on a white blanket or sheet to ensure its head is supported without the aid of a hand.
- Alternatively, cover a car seat with a plain white sheet and take a picture of your child in the car seat.
- Please make sure no other person is in the photo.
- A photo with the child looking at the camera is preferred, although not required.
- Nationality verification/Personal Particular form. 3 copies with a physical photograph pasted on each form
- Notarized photocopy of US proof of address. ANY one of the following documents is required.
- Driving license
- State ID
- Gas bill
- Water bill
- Electricity bill
- Rental lease agreement
- Home Mortgage bill.
NOTARIZATION: It is inportant to get the forms and documents notarized wherever specified. Especially in the case of minors, please ensure all the documents such as copy of birth certificate, 2nd page of the application form, parent’s passport copies, parents proof of stay in US are all notarized.