Additional requirements for Children under 16 Years of age

Parents ID proof and US citizenship proofs as per the above requirements should be submitted.

  1. Show parental relationship- You must submit documentation that lists the parent(s) or legal guardian(s) of the child applying for a passport

The following may be used to show parental relationship:

  • S. birth certificate (also evidence of U.S. citizenship)
  • Consular Report of Birth Abroad (also evidence of U.S. citizenship)
  • Foreign birth certificate
  • Adoption decree
  • Divorce/Custody decree

Please note: Some documents, like a U.S. birth certificate, show both U.S. citizenship and parental relationship. These documents must be originals or certified copies (not photocopies).

  1. Parents ID as per points 2 & 3 above.
  2. Parental Consent

Both parents/guardians must authorize the issuance of the child’s passport.

You have sole legal authority

You must submit evidence of this with the application. Examples include:

  1.  Complete court order granting you sole legal custody of the child, such as a divorce decree or other custody order
  2.  Complete court order specifically permitting you to apply for your child’s passport (photocopy is acceptable)
  3.  Certified copy of the child’s birth certificate listing you as the only parent 
  4.  Certified copy of an adoption decree listing you as the only parent
  5.  Certified copy of the judicial declaration of incompetence of the parent that cannot appear in person
  6.  Certified copy of the death certificate of the parent that cannot appear in person

One parent unable to appear

If one parent/guardian cannot go with the child to apply for the passport, they can give permission by completing Form DS-3053 “Statement of Consent." You must submit the completed form with the child’s passport application. The parent that cannot go with the child must:

  1. Sign and date Form DS-3053 in the presence of a certified notary public, and
  2. Submit a photocopy of the front and back side of the ID that they present to the notary public with Form DS-3053.

You cannot locate the other parent

You must submit Form DS-5525 “Statement of Exigent/Special Family Circumstances."

  1. Please complete the form with as much detail as possible.
  2. We may ask for additional information (e.g., custody order, incarceration order, restraining order) to protect against international parental child abduction.

Neither parent able to appear

A third party may apply for the child’s passport with a notarized statement from both parents/guardians giving that third party permission to apply for the child.

  1. The statement must include a photocopy of the parents/guardians’ identification. 
  2.  When the statement is from only one parent/guardian, the third party must present evidence of sole custody of the consenting parent/guardian.

Please Note: Written authorization from the parent that cannot appear in person must be less than three months old.