Documents required for New US passport

Documents required for New US Passport. You MUST submit 2 copies of ALL the supporting documents.

  1. Download the DS-11 online at Fill the form in Capital letter. DO NOT print the form back to back. DO NOT SIGN the form at this stage.
  1. Proof of US Citizenship:
    1. You MUST submit ONE of the following. Photocopies and notarized copies are not acceptable
      • Fully-valid, undamaged U.S. passport (may be expired)
      • S. birth certificate that meets the following requirements:
        • Issued by the city, county, or state of birth
        • Lists your full name, date of birth, and place of birth
        • Lists your parent(s)’ full names
        • Has the date filed with registrar’s office (must be within one year of birth)
        • Has the registrar’s signature
      • Has the seal of the issuing authority
    2. Consular Report of Birth Abroad or Certification of Birth
    3. Certificate of Naturalization
    4. Certificate of Citizenship

If you cannot submit one of the above acceptable documents, or for more information, please see Citizenship Evidence at

  1. Present Identification:

      You must present one of the following identification documents (IDs) to the acceptance agent. The ID must readily identify you.

      • In-state, fully-valid driver’s license
      • In-state, fully-valid non-driver ID
      • Fully-valid, undamaged U.S. passport (may be expired)
      • Certificate of Naturalization or Citizenship
      • Government employee ID (city, county, state or federal)
      • S. military ID or military dependent ID
      • Valid foreign passport
      • Matricula Consular (Mexican Consular Identification, commonly used by the parent of a U.S. citizen child applicant)
      • Permanent resident card (Green Card) – commonly used by a parent of a U.S. citizen child applicant

      If you cannot present one of the IDs above, provide a set from the one’s below:

      • Out-of-state driver’s license
      • Out-of-state non-driver ID
      • Social Security card
      • Learner’s or temporary driver’s permit
      • Voter registration card
      • Employee ID
      • Student ID
      • Selective Service (draft) card
      • Medicare or other health card
      • Expired driver’s license
      • Membership card in a local social organization or club

      Please note:

      • If you present an out-of-state ID, you must present an additional ID.
      • If you have undergone or are going through gender transition, please see the additional requirements below:

      Gender Designation Change

      US Govt issue two different kinds of passports depending on where you are in your gender transition. You must provide extra documentation in both cases.


      Status of Gender Transition Kind of Passport Validity of Passport
      You have had appropriate
      Clinical treatment*
      Full Validity 10 years
      You are in the process of getting appropriate clinical treatment Limited Validity 2 years

      Your physician determines what appropriate clinical treatment is.


      Unless you are replacing a limited-validity passport (see below), you must apply using Form DS-11. Please include the following, in addition to the regularly-required documents*:

      • ID that resembles your current appearance
      • Passport photo that resembles your current appearance
      • A medical certificationthat indicates you are in the process of or have had appropriate clinical treatment for gender transition
      • Proof of legal name change (if applicable)

      Medical Certification

      A signed, original statement from a licensed physician must be on office letterhead and include:

      • Physician’s full name
      • Medical license or certificate number
      • Issuing state or other jurisdiction of medical license/certificate
      • Address and telephone number of the physician
      • Language stating that:
      • He or she has a doctor/patient relationship with you
      • He or she has treated you or has reviewed and evaluated your medical history
      • You have had, or are in process of having, appropriate clinical treatment for transition to the updated gender (male or female)
      • The statement, “I declare under penalty of perjury under the laws of the United States that the forgoing is true and correct.”
      1. If your passport was Lost or Stolen:

      Complete, sign the Form DS-64. Download the form in “Forms & Formats” section.

      1. Additional requirements for Children under 16 Years of age:

      Parents ID proof and US citizenship proofs as per the above requirements should be submitted.

      1. Show parental relationship- You must submit documentation that lists the parent(s) or legal guardian(s) of the child applying for a passport

      The following may be used to show parental relationship:

      • S. birth certificate (also evidence of U.S. citizenship)
      • Consular Report of Birth Abroad (also evidence of U.S. citizenship)
      • Foreign birth certificate
      • Adoption decree
      • Divorce/Custody decree

      Please note: Some documents, like a U.S. birth certificate, show both U.S. citizenship and parental relationship. These documents must be originals or certified copies (not photocopies).

      1. Parents ID as per points 2 & 3 above.
      2. Parental Consent

      Both parents/guardians must authorize the issuance of the child’s passport.

      You have sole legal authority

      You must submit evidence of this with the application. Examples include:

      1. Complete court order granting you sole legal custody of the child, such as a divorce decree or other custody order
      2. Complete court order specifically permitting you to apply for your child’s passport (photocopy is acceptable)
      3. Certified copy of the child’s birth certificate listing you as the only parent 
      4. Certified copy of an adoption decree listing you as the only parent
      5. Certified copy of the judicial declaration of incompetence of the parent that cannot appear in person
      6. Certified copy of the death certificate of the parent that cannot appear in person

      One parent unable to appear

      If one parent/guardian cannot go with the child to apply for the passport, they can give permission by completing Form DS-3053 “Statement of Consent." You must submit the completed form with the child’s passport application. The parent that cannot go with the child must:

      1. Sign and date Form DS-3053 in the presence of a certified notary public, and
      2. Submit a photocopy of the front and back side of the ID that they present to the notary public with Form DS-3053.

      You cannot locate the other parent

      You must submit Form DS-5525 “Statement of Exigent/Special Family Circumstances."

      1. Please complete the form with as much detail as possible.
      2. We may ask for additional information (e.g., custody order, incarceration order, restraining order) to protect against international parental child abduction.

      Neither parent able to appear

      A third party may apply for the child’s passport with a notarized statement from both parents/guardians giving that third party permission to apply for the child.

      1. The statement must include a photocopy of the parents/guardians’ identification. 
      2. When the statement is from only one parent/guardian, the third party must present evidence of sole custody of the consenting parent/guardian.

      Please Note: Written authorization from the parent that cannot appear in person must be less than three months old.

      1. Two Passport photos as per specifications:
      • Printed on matte or glossy photo quality paper
      • Size of photo
        • 2 x 2 inches (51 x 51 mm) in size
        • Size of head must be between 1 -1 3/8 inches (25 – 35 mm) from the bottom of the chin to the top of the head.
      • Recent, taken in the last 6 months to reflect your current appearance
      • Photos with glasses are not accepted w.e.f 1st Nov 2016
      • Background must be plain white or off-white
      • Head must be directly facing the camera with your full face in view
      • Taken with a neutral facial expression or a natural smile, with both eyes open
      • In color
      • Taken in clothing that you normally wear on a daily basis
      • No hats or head coverings, unless you wear it daily for religious purposes. Your full face must be visible and your head covering cannot cast shadows on your face.
        • No headphones or wireless hands-free devices.

      Photo guidelines for Infants

      • Lay the child on its back on a white blanket or sheet to ensure its head is supported without the aid of a hand.
      • Alternatively, cover a car seat with a plain white sheet and take a picture of your child in the car seat.
      • Please make sure no other person is in the photo.
      • A photo with the child looking at the camera is preferred, although not required.
      1. TWO ORIGINAL handwritten Letter of Authorization in favour of Traversal Visa – Letter must have original signatures, faxes and scans are not accepted. Download from “Forms & Formats”