Frequently Asked Questions

  1. Do I need a passport to travel outside US?

Ans- YES, you would need a passport if you are travelling outside US.

  1. I have a US Green Card, but not the US passport? Can I travel outside US?

Ans- YES, you can travel outside US using your current passport. You will need to have your US Green Card handy while coming back to US.

  1. Is it mandatory to submit passport applications to US passport agency in person?

Ans- NO, Its not mandatory to submit your passport application in person. You can authorize Traversal Visa to submit on your behalf.

  1. I have a valid foreign passport, and have also obtained US Citizenship through Naturalization. Can I also apply for a US passport?

Ans- YES. US Govt allows its citizens to retain their previous nationality even after they have attained US Citizenship.

  1. How long does it take to recieve a US passport after application submission?

Ans- It can take anywhere between 2-4 weeks to receive your new passport in a regular/Standard process. There is a Rush service also available if you need to travel outside of US sooner.

  1. How many blank pages I need to have in my passport before I apply for a Visa?

Ans- You need to apply for new passport if you intend to later apply for a Visa; and have only 2 blank page left  in your passport.

  1. How long is a passport valid and is it true that it needs to have at least 6 months of validity remaining?

Ans- Some countries require that your passport be valid at least six months beyond the dates of your trip. Some airlines will not allow you to board if this requirement is not met.  Consider the following scenario: A country requires that you have at least six months of validity on your passport. You currently have seven months of validity on your passport.  However, your trip is two months from now. At that point, you will only have five months of validity remaining on your passport, which is not enough to satisfy that country’s entry requirements. In this situation, you would need to renew your passport before you can make your trip.

  1. I am renewing my passport. Do I get the old one back.

Ans- YES, you will get your old passport back.

  1. Can I get extra pages inserted in my current passport?

Ans- No, you cannot. Applicants who need additional pages in their valid passports must obtain a new passport by mail. Applicants within the United States may choose a 28-page or 52-page book.

  1. What counts as the “proof of international travel” required to apply at a passport agency?

Ans- Your international travel must be within either two weeks or four weeks if you need to obtain a foreign visa. Proof of international travel includes but is not limited to a flight itinerary, hotel reservation, and cruise tickets. A print version of your proof of travel is required at most agencies.

  1. What do I do if my child is too young to sign his or her passport book?

Ans- A parent or legal guardian may sign the passport if the child is too young to sign his or her own name. To do so, a parent or legal guardian must print the child’s name and sign his or her own name in the space provided for the signature. The parent or legal guardian must also write his or her relationship to the child in parenthesis next to the signature (e.g., parent or legal guardian) so we know who signed for the child.

  1. Does a minor under 16 need to have parental or legal guardian consent when applying for a passport?

Ans- Yes, you need your parent’s consent for your passport application.

  1. What is the Children’s Passport Issuance Alert Program (CPIAP)?

Ans- Parents may enroll their U.S. citizen children under the age of 18 in the Children’s Passport Issuance Alert Program (CPIAP), one of the Department of State’s most important tools for preventing international parental child abduction.  If a passport application is submitted for a child who is enrolled in CPIAP, the Department attempts to alert the parent or parents to verify whether the parents approve passport issuance.

  1. Do I have to provide my Social Security number on my passport application?

Ans- Yes. 22 U.S.C. 2714a and 22 C.F.R 51.60(f) requires you to provide your Social Security number, if you have one, when you apply for a U.S. passport or renewal of a U.S. passport.

If you fail to provide the information, you will encounter a delay in processing and/or denial of your passport application.  You will also be subject to a $500 penalty enforced by the IRS pursuant to Section 6039E of the Internal Revenue Code (26 U.S.C. 6039E). All questions on this matter should be directed to the nearest IRS office

  1. How do I get a certified copy of my U.S. birth certificate?

Ans- Contact the Vital Statistics office in the state where you were born.

  1. How do I obtain copies of my Certification of Report of Birth (DS-1350)?

Ans- As of December 2010, the Certification of Report of Birth (DS-1350) is no longer issued. Instead, you may request multiple copies of your Consular Report of Birth Abroad (FS-240). All previously issued DS-1350s are still valid as proof of identity, citizenship and for other legal purposes